Sunday, September 11, 2011

My College Summit Blog! (:


During my junior year in high school I got the experience of being chosen to go on a college summit trip as an incoming senior. In order to be a college summit “Peer Leader” you had to have good grades and a good g.p.a. The way this worked was ---- your advisory teacher had to choose from the whole class room only 3 students that had good skills of being a leader and someone who he could trust in, and knew they were going to follow all the instructions, to be able to come back and help their peers during our senior year. I guess I fit the part, and was able to go.

This trip was to the University of Redlands on July 11, 2010. We stayed there for 4days and 3nights. There were two schools going on this trip, Inglewood high school and Arleta high school. I got the experience to live in a dorm for--- four days with a roommate from Inglewood high. The first day of being roommates was kind of silent because we didn’t know anything about each other. But during this trip we had workshops that included getting to know one another. Therefore being roommates with someone from a different school, not being your schoolmates was good. Because you actually got the experience of being roommates with people you didn’t know, and I learned so many wonderful things from my roommate Helen.

Some of the workshops we did were… Learning how to finance your money, doing a personal statement, Resume, learn how to do a college application, have a college list, senior-Year plan and learning how to do an application for FASFA. I learned all of this just so I can go back to my high school prepared and to be able to help my peers in my advisory achieve their goals for college.

During the college summit trip we had our scheduled plan out for each day. Each morning we had to wake up early get ready and go to breakfast. After we would meet up and have a session of the things they were teaching us. We had a college counselor & a writing college coach. We got to meet with them. My college counselor basically guided me to what path would interest me the most for my career. My college writing coach, thought me how to write my personal statement. They had a picnic plan out for us and a banquet

Being able to be part of the 2010 College Summit Workshop was something so special to me. College summit really helped me in so many ways. Starting my junior year I started to think about my senior year, and what were going to be my plans after leaving high school. I really didn’t have a clued about my future and that’s when college summit changed everything! They gave me ideas about many ways I could get into college, what to know and be prepared for. This has been one of the BEST Memorable experiences I’ve gone through. I left college summit with so many great memories and I got closer to people that I was already close to! I wish I can go back to high school just to do “College Summit” all over again. 

                                         ************************
This was my wonderful roommate Helen.Whom I shared so many good memories with. She would wake me up every morning, just because I wasn't use to waking up so early in the mornings.


This was were I did my personal statement. In "Sara Grace Parker Hall Of Letters." Wonderful place by the way.



Starting my experiences as a College Summit PeerLeader with Thania and Isaac, this was our first day of arrival. We were very close when we went to this trip, but left The Redlands Closer than never.



I love taking pictures. This was one of my favorites.  This picture shows so much history within the building.


This picture was taken by one of our leaders, while playing a game of "Green Light". 


Leaving was the hardest part of my trip to The University Of Redlands. :(

5 comments:

  1. Carina~ What a wonderful opportunity for you! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can somewhat relate to this because i graduated from arleta high school as well and i aslo got selected to go to college summit but unfortunatley i couldnt go due to personal problems. By reading this i got to see and imagine the lost i took by not going to college summit but oh well i can't go back in time. Nice jobb on the pictures it help me visualize things better. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your lucky that you went to college summit i also wanted to go. I heard it was really fun and a good experience,but for some reason i didn't get to go. what was your gpa cos my gpa was like 3.4 or higher, but i was called or told to go. It sounds like you had a lot of fun i wish i just had the chance to go. well i liked your essay it was really good

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carina, only if we went on the same trip. I agree with what you said because as you know I also went to college summit and it was a very great experience. It's really good that you met new people and had those moments with them. I know you had a blast and I'm glad you went on that trip to have that great experience in high school.

    ReplyDelete